Monday, March 14, 2011

Rise and Shine Yoga







While driving to school this morning, I watched the sun rise. At first it was just a horizontal streak of light, which then widened into the most beautiful white and golden hues that I will not forget for a long time. I thought to myself, "What a glorious sight, and I am so lucky to be sharing it with young people who are keeping up with yoga!" I was totally impressed with the number of young yogis who made it in for a 7:15 class, even though it felt like 6:15! Way to go!
We had one of the most peaceful and relaxing classes yet. We started by tuning in and warming up. The warm up included a new exercise called the bundle roll, which stimulates and relaxes the body and everyone loved it. Then we moved into our first ever kriya. We learned that a kriya is a set of exercises that work toward a particular goal. Today's kriya was for Self Adjustment of the Spine. This kriya included the tree pose, crow squats, butt bounce (a particular favorite), side stretches and finished with relaxing in Corpse pose. We listened to the gong for relaxation and then did the Sa Ta Na Ma meditation. This meditation is good for getting rid of all the garbage in your head, even the "stuff" you aren't aware of. We meditated for 3 minutes! When we were done everyone was so mellow. We played the "lap circle" game-sorry there aren't any pictures, I had too much fun participating with the group! I know that everyone stayed pretty mellow throughout the day, I certainly did! I even heard about the meditation from some teachers! Good job living your yoga practice and sharing it with the important people in your lives!
Did you know that in 7 short weeks we have learned 40 different yoga poses/exercises? All of the students took a survey at the end of class to indicate their 5 favorite poses. I am going to work the favorites into a yoga story for next week, our last week together. If you didn't get a chance to take the survey, stop by to room 23 to fill one out because I would really love everyone's input.
Be on the lookout for paperwork coming home regarding the second session of Rise and Shine Yoga. It should be out soon!
As always, thanks for sharing your children with me!
Mrs. W




No comments:

Post a Comment